Showing posts with label Councilman Joe Buscaino. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Councilman Joe Buscaino. Show all posts
Monday, August 12, 2013
Wilmington celebrates renovation of Harbor Sports Complex field
Pop warner football players and cheerleaders celebrated the long needed renovation of the Harbor Sports Complex at Los Angeles Harbor College this Saturday.
Last year Councilman Joe Buscaino announced the $2.2 million makeover for the Harbor Park in Wilmington which is the home field for hundreds of youth athletes in the nearby communities.
"I made a promise to Wilmington Youth Football during my campaign last year. It took ten months, but we figured out how to fund the upgrade,” said Buscaino in a press release. “We owe it to these kids to keep them motivated and focused."
Here's a video of the ribbon cutting ceremony provided by the Councilman's office:
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Residents Voice Their Concerns at Wilmington Town Hall Meeting
![]() |
| Councilman Joe Buscaino speaking at town hall meeting in Wilmington February 13. (Photo by Anabell Romero) |
A small but engaged group of residents attended last night’s
town hall meeting with Councilman Joe Buscaino at Banning High School’s auditorium. He spoke
of his accomplishments during his first year in office and shared a 10 minute
video detailing all his work for the 15th district
in Los Angeles, which includes Harbor City, Harbor Gateway, San Pedro,
Watts and Wilmington.
Because there was such low attendance almost every attendee
was given an opportunity to voice their concerns about ongoing problems in the
neighborhood like, crime, violence, overwhelming amount of liquor stores in
comparison to resourceful centers, poor air quality and illegal dumping.
Community leaders like Salvador
Lara who has mobilized hundreds of residents in an effort to clean-up Wilmington
spoke out against illegal dumping in the neighborhood and demanded these people
get fined as well as more oversight from law enforcement and residents.
| Salvador Lara that people get fined for illegal dumping in Wilmington. (Photo by Anabell Romero) |
Members of the environmental activism group Clean Up Green Up, pleaded for
Buscaino’s support to make LA communities healthier through the establishment
of green zones in Wilmington. On the spot Buscaino said he supported the
initiative.
When a youth got up and asked for Buscaino to support their
group Youth
Action and the California
Youth Bill of Rights, Buscaino said, “anything to mobilize our youth and I’m
with you!”
Buscaino made references to when he was a police officer and
patrolled areas like downtown LA when it was a hotspot for crime and now has
been transformed into L.A. Live, the entertainment complex that has helped revitalize
the city.
“We want the same economic development here,” said Buscaino.
He did acknowledge that more work needs to be done to make Wilmington
a safer and healthier community and he committed to doing so if re-elected during
the LA
city elections March 5, where angelenos will also elect a new city mayor.
He emphasized on creating more jobs, local economic
development and making neighborhoods safer.
Here's a video highlighting some of Buscaino's accomplishments during his first year in office.
Monday, December 10, 2012
Families Filled the Streets to Watch the Annual Christmas Parade
Wilmington residents filled the streets Sunday afternoon to watch the annual Christmas parade on Avalon Boulevard. The parade was led by the Banning High School band and drill team who were accompanied by the new principal and former band member, Rudy Mendoza.
Others in the parade included Councilman Joe Buscaino, Congresswoman Janice Hahn, community groups like I heart Wilmington and Womyn of Wilmington and many more.
The Councilman's office produced a short video of the parade you can watch here, and the Wilmington Wire captured some photos. Take a look!
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
Residents Join Against Violence at the First Wilmington United Meeting
Community members joined Councilman Joe Buscaino and LAPD Harbor Division Captain, William Hays, at the first Wilmington United meeting Tuesday evening at the Wilmington Senior Citizen Center.
Wilmington United is a new group created in response to the escalating violence in Wilmington. The group consist of representatives from schools, community-based organizations, gang prevention programs, local businesses and churches.
The purpose of the meeting was to bring together and empower residents to take back their neighborhoods from violence, to best determine the needs of the community, bring forth ideas for community projects and identify needed resources for Wilmington.
Here is a video of last night's meeting.
(This video was produces by Branimir Kvartuc, Communications Director for Councilman Joe Buscaino's office)
Wilmington United is a new group created in response to the escalating violence in Wilmington. The group consist of representatives from schools, community-based organizations, gang prevention programs, local businesses and churches.
The purpose of the meeting was to bring together and empower residents to take back their neighborhoods from violence, to best determine the needs of the community, bring forth ideas for community projects and identify needed resources for Wilmington.
Here is a video of last night's meeting.
(This video was produces by Branimir Kvartuc, Communications Director for Councilman Joe Buscaino's office)
Thursday, February 2, 2012
Wilmington Unites To Get Homicide Updates

Over two-hundred Wilmington residents assemble at Holy Family Parish to discuss the spate of murders in the past month. Photo by Branimir Kvartuc.
The meeting was held at Holy Family Parish just feet away from where the body of Cristian Zugey Alvarez was found January 2. It was the first of five homicides that have occurred in Wilmington since the new year.
In response to the violence LAPD said they would have lights on along L Street from 6 p.m. to midnight and asked all residents who live on L Street to turn their porch lights on as well. Officials are inviting the public to walk with them this Monday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. to demonstrate the unity amongst the community.
Councilman Joe Buscaino's office produced a video of LAPD Captain William Hayes providing information on next week's Lights on L Street campaign. The images and video were provided by Branimir Kvartuc, communications director from Councilman Joe Buscaino's office, and interpreting is Wilmington Field Deputy, Gabriela Medina.

"I want to ensure that now, with these five homicides in this new year, that we get additional police resources here for the long term, not just for two weeks," said Buscaino about Wilmington situation.
Councilman Joe Buscaino of CD15 addresses Wilmington residents at Holy Family Parish about the spate of murders in the past month. Photo by Branimir Kvartuc.

Liz Dominguez Phillips of Wilmington holds up a photo of her nephew, James Dominguez, 26, who was killed in May, 2011. Photo by Branimir Kvartuc.

Wilmington residents who have lost their loved ones to murders. Photo by Branimir Kvartuc.

LAPD Captain William Hayes talks to residents during the meeting. Photo by Branimir Kvartuc.
